Featured Post

Linkedin

 These days, I mostly post my tech musings on Linkedin.  https://www.linkedin.com/in/seanmcgrath/

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Digital tech. and the future/non-future of the printed book

This weeks ITWorld article : Will a paperback ever lose its paper? is about the future of the intellectual equivalent of the cockroach - the humble, sturdy printed book.

Not unrelated to this topic is an article sent to me by a colleague, quote:

    "The Internet Archive has created mobile bookmobiles in conjunction with Hewlett-Packard and others. The bookmobiles contain a printer hooked up to a satellite feed, which can print books for kids. Two are in operation in India, while another in rural Uganda prints about 1,500 books a week. The entire bookmobile, including the cost of the used van, is $15,000, and 100-page books cost about a $1 to print and bind in the van."

I want a bookmobile! But I want it to fit on or under my desk :-)

No comments: