Featured Post

Linkedin

 These days, I mostly post my tech musings on Linkedin.  https://www.linkedin.com/in/seanmcgrath/

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Bursty broadband making streaming video a pain? - A doh! moment

My home broadband is very bursty at the moment. Bandwidth fluctuates wildly. Not a problem for, say, downloading stuff but a real pain for any streaming media like youtube video etc.

Today, I filed the following very effective technique under "Doh! Why didn't I think of this before?".

Start the video playback. Then pause it and go get a coffee. The stream gets buffered under the hood (you will most likely see a progress meter indicating how far ahead of the curent position has now been buffered.). Return with coffee, hit play and the stream will stream smoothly.

Darn I feel stoopid to have suffered this for a while now without realising I could just buffer up stuff.

No comments: