Tuesday, September 02, 2008


    "Thus it came to pass that I decided I want a rack of computers in my home office" -- SOHO PC Racks


twb said...

For almost all the reasons listed that one might want a rack of computers, a collection of VMs would work just as well. I have a "rack" of VMs that I can use for every purpose, except I can take them with me, moving them onto a portable drive, or my notebook, or between any of a couple of server machines. Aside from the CPU power you'd get from a physical cluster, it really is the best of both worlds.

Jarrod said...

sounds like what you want is a low end cheap blade server. There are some out there that have blades in the $500 US range, but it isn't cheap. But you still have to by a proprietary chassis that will be at least a couple of grand. There are also some PCI "server on a card" systems as well, but they still require a chassis in most cases and still suffer from all the cons of a blade server. You can get last couple of years generation of blade servers for cheap on used on ebay.

I agree with the other posters, one powerful Dual Quad core machine with gobs of memory with multiple VM instances is the way to go, especially for a development environment.

Blade servers are falling out of favor because of all the things you mentioned. They are power hungry, they generate tonnes of heat, the heat density is like 5 times a normal 1U rack mount server case, they take up expensive rack space in hosting facilities.

Don't laugh, but one option is to pick up a bunch of first generation Mac Mini's and rack them all together. They pull very little power and produce very little heat compared to Intel chips of the same power.

server_rack said...

Let me know if the noise gets to you, I will see if I can offer you a deal on one of our noise reducing racks