Featured Post

Linkedin

 These days, I mostly post my tech musings on Linkedin.  https://www.linkedin.com/in/seanmcgrath/

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Circles, fifths, twelfth root of two, octaves, Pythagoras. Oh, and organisation theory

So there I was, minding my own business, Googling around for stuff about the mathematical relationships that underly the basic musical stuff I'm grappling with like chords and scales and so on.

The forces of serendpity lead me to a paper on - of all things - organisation theory. My interest piqued, I printed it and...oh my...there are puns in there that make my toes curl. I spilled tea all over myself when I hit this one: "The irrationality of melodic space simply didn't resonate with the Renaissance drive to mastery.". Great stuff!

P.S.
Did you know that you you can just type twelfth root of two into Google and it will tell you?

No comments: