Featured Post

Linkedin

 These days, I mostly post my tech musings on Linkedin.  https://www.linkedin.com/in/seanmcgrath/

Friday, August 13, 2004

More interesting Python obs from Paul Graham

The Python paradox.

I have been using Python for XML processing since they days when XML was called SGML. I provided Python code samples in a book I wrote 8 (!) years ago:
SGML for software developers.

The reason I moved to Python for my work was that I could do more, do it faster, modify it more easily and maintain it afterwards, with Python than with any other language.

Looking back on it, I was lucky to have very little time or money on hand to develop what I needed to develop at the time.

I knew from bitter experience that C++ would take too long to write/debug. I knew from bitter experience that Perl would prove impossible to maintain. Out of sheer necessity I went looking for a solution, found Python, and the rest is history.

Necessity is the reason I chose Python.

No comments: