Featured Post

Linkedin

 These days, I mostly post my tech musings on Linkedin.  https://www.linkedin.com/in/seanmcgrath/

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Came so far for...

Last night was an evening of Leonard Cohen Songs at the Point Depot in Dublin.

In a nutshell: disappointed.

I realise that every rendering of a song/poem is an interpretation but some interpretive Rubicons were crossed last night.

First the bad news. Some songs that I'm so fond of from the great man's works I feel almost *posessive* about the originals were not so much "interpreted" as "hung, drawn, quartered, dessicated, packed into 10 gallon drums and dumped into the malodorous Liffey.

The good news. Some of the interpretations came off well. Some very well. The reggae version of Joan of Arc worked. Tonite Will Be Fine worked. Lou Reed's mostly loud and metallic contributions were shockingly new but, in time, I suspect I would get to like them.

Luckily, at the the times the show lagged, Jarvis Cocker, Nick Cave or Julie Christensen
would arrive and rescue matters with something beautiful.

All in all, if it was on again and the set was going to be the same, I'd turn up at the interval and catch the second half.

Oh and on the instrument side. The saw...I don't think it helped.

No comments: